30.4.09

Grilled Golf Balls

In my childhood home, Brussels sprouts were a regular menu item, and I think I was one of the few children who loved eating them (we called them "golf balls," which was the main reason I enjoyed them so much). So, when Nancy discovered a fantastic roasted Brussels sprouts recipe a few years ago, they re-entered my culinary world in a whole new way. I found some in the fridge this weekend as I was looking for things to throw on the grill, and I came up with an easy-peasy method:

Grill-Roasted Brussels Sprouts


1 lb. Brussels sprouts
2 tbsp. olive oil
3 cloves garlic, crushed or minced
salt & pepper to taste

Make a boat from aluminum foil that will fit on the top rack of your gas grill (or anywhere on a charcoal grill), but big enough to hold the Brussels sprouts in one layer. Wash and trim the Brussels sprouts, then cut a cross about 1/8 inch-deep in the bottom of each one. Place them on the aluminum foil, drizzle with olive oil, and toss to coat. Sprinkle garlic, salt, and pepper over everything. Pop the boat on the grill and close the lid. On the top level of a gas grill over medium heat, cook 20-30 minutes (longer if you want the leaves to get brown and crunchy), or until just tender. On a charcoal grill, check and toss regularly, cook until just tender.

And for the grill-less city dwellers among us, oven roasting works too!

No comments: