6.4.10

Street Food: Wafels & Dinges

Finally ran into the much ballyhooed Wafels & Dinges truck parked at Sheridan Square on Friday night, and a combination of no dinner and curiosity led me to the window. I've never been drawn to the whole waffle thing (I guess Eggo kind of killed my perception of waffles when I was a kid), but I'd heard so much about this particular truck, and as Belgian waffles are "the thing," I went for it.

First of all, I wondered "What are dinges?" My imagination landed upon some kind of boat-shaped doughnut-like object that you could fill with whatever... Alas, no. Actually, dinges are the toppings for the waffles. So much for my imagination.

I pondered the list of dinges and decided to try one of the truck's signature combos, a waffle with speculoos and whipped cream (even though the word "speculoos" kind of, well, made me stop for a moment...but it's a spread based on a traditional Belgian spiced cookie). I should've skipped the whipped cream (it was too sweet for me), but the speculoos had a lot of flavor, and the waffle was, well, pretty fantastic. Crispy on the outside, fluffy and chewy on the inside, flavorful, and not overly sweet.

Perhaps the waffle world is worth exploring, especially if one starts in Belgium. I suppose I'll Leggo my nasty Eggo memories and give 'em a chance! (Ow...sorry!)

No comments: