28.4.10

The KKNY Retro Recipe Project: 1931 Raisin Bread

Annoyed by the almost-empty bag of raisins that I had to keep digging past in the cabinet, I figured it was time to make another retro recipe! I sifted through the books and found an easy-looking bread in The Calumet Baking Book, published in 1931. It's basically all about why you should use Calumet Baking Powder "The Double Acting Baking Powder, " and helpfully notes that "All baking powders are required by law to be made of pure, wholesome ingredients." Hope the FDA's still on top of that...

I dove in, using butter, the raisins, and the last handful of walnuts in the bottom of a container. The result was a dense loaf similar to Irish soda bread. It's a tad bland, so should definitely be served with a little dollop of butter (any excuse for butter, I say). I think I'll probably make it again, but play with the addition of some spices--at least some cinnamon...

No comments: