18.6.10

Taking On Tostadas

While I started this week with the best intentions (salads! fruit! veggies!), cravings took precedence. Sometimes, you just have to listen to your body, and try to figure out the best way to deal...

I'd picked up a red cabbage and tomato thinking I'd add some things I already had to create a crunchy summer salad. But as dinner approached, I realized I needed some beef. I just had to have it. And in order to avoid eating some kind of disastrous meal (like a bacon cheeseburger), I went for a walk to Esposito's and put the thinking cap on. I ended up picking up some ground beef and tostadas.

Trying not to make it completely unhealthy, I ended up with the following, and I hafta say...it was pretty awesome! I can't wait for the leftovers!


Young Garlic/Red Cabbage/Beef Tostadas
Note: I was making this for one, so you'll want to adjust amounts accordingly. I have a lot of leftover beef, so I think 1 pound of meat and a whole head of cabbage could make at least 8–10 tostadas.

• 1 bulb young garlic, roughly chopped
• 1 pound ground beef
• 1 vine-ripened tomato, chopped
• 1 tablespoon ground cumin
• 1 teaspoon dried oregano
• 1 chili hot pepper, finely minced (+ more hot sauce to taste)
• 1/4 teaspoon salt
• 1/4 of a 2-pound head of red cabbage, sliced (for the entire head, I'd add an additional head of young garlic).
• 1 package pre-cooked tostadas
• a few Thai basil leaves for garnishing (cilantro would obviously be ideal, but I'm growing Thai basil in my window...)

Sauté 3/4 of the garlic with the ground beef and spices until the meat's cooked (I was using lean meat, so I didn't have to drain it). Stir in the tomato, then remove from the pan and set aside. Return the pan to the heat and sauté the remaining garlic for about 1 minute. Add the red cabbage and cook until it begins to glisten become tender, about 2 minutes, and remove from heat.

For each tostada, add a generous pile of cabbage, a few spoonfuls of beef, and a little more cabbage. Garnish with the basil.

No comments: