1.2.10

Crepopo

I think I need to revisit the 1985 Japanese film Tampopo sometime soon, because I'm having a similar journey with crepes (without the opening the shop part...but you never know...life is funny sometimes).

I'm having a little get-together for La Chandeleur tomorrow night, so I spent half the weekend on French recipe sites and YouTube reading and watching and thinking and reading and watching... It's amazing how many variations there are for Breton-style buckwheat crepes (galettes de sarazin, galettes de blé noir). Do I use only buckwheat, or do I throw in a little wheat flour? Do I use milk? Beer? One egg or two? Melted butter?

Aargh!

So here I am, on a search for the perfect buckwheat crepe recipe. I made some batter this weekend--it was good, but not transcendent--that ended up being a mix of buckwheat and wheat flours, just because I ran out of buckwheat flour. Here's the recipe, just to keep track. (And I apologize to my readers without kitchen scales--I'm trying to be as close as possible to the recipes I'm studying on the web, and as the French weigh ingredients, well...)

Buckwheat Crepe Batter #2
• 180 grams buckwheat flour
• 70 grams all-purpose flour
• 250 ml / 1 cup milk
• 250 ml / 1 cup water
• 2 eggs
• 40 g (about 2 tablespoons) butter, melted
• 1/4 teaspoon salt

I quickly whizzed everything in my blender (there's a certain order of things when doing by hand, which I learned this weekend...but more on that later), decanted, then allowed it to rest in the fridge overnight.

No comments: