11.2.10

Dem Bones

While I was tempted to go adventuring/photo taking in the West Village snow last night (it's always so pretty just after a storm!), the slushy, windy scene out my window helped me decide to stay in and make some soup. I'd stopped at Esposito's during my morning errands and decided to pick up a marrow bone, something I'd never used before. Seemed like a good day to play.

I used my fun new 6-quart Creuset stock pot (a Christmas prezzy--huzzah!) to boil the bones for a few hours (1 1/2 pounds of them, cut into 4 pieces) with garlic and herbes de Provence. I have no idea if I was doing what I was "supposed" to do, but eventually I ended up with about 2/3 of a pot of stock, glistening with beautiful blobs of floating marrow. It was a bit fatty (I'm assuming from the marrow), but what the heck... I set to work the soup, which I kept kind of simple so I could experience the marrow and celeriac flavors.

Snow Day Marrow/Potato/Celeriac/Celery Soup
• marrow stock (see above)
• 2 medium onions, chopped
• 4 stalks celery (w/ leaves), chopped
• 1 large bulb celeriac, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
• 3 large potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
• 1 tablespoon herbes de Provence
• salt to taste

Add the onions and celery to the hot stock, and cook until tender. Add celeriac, potatoes, and herbes, then simmer until the root vegetables are tender and flavorful, about 15-20 minutes. Purée with an immersion blender (or regular blender and return to the pot). Add salt to taste, then slowly simmer for another 20 minutes, stirring occasionally, to allow flavors to meld. Serve.

No comments: