23.2.10

The Supreme Spaghetti Squash

I'm an admitted noodle addict (my half-Sicilian blood has installed a few permanent cravings: pasta, sausage, citrus), but after this weekend's kitchen playtime, I officially think spaghetti squash is better than spaghetti. The crunch. The flavor. The flexibility. It's pretty awesome.

Spaghetti squash was a favorite when I was a kid. I don't remember having it all that much, but when we did, I was happy to scoop up whatever came out of this giant, mysterious vegetable. I was always amazed at the way it turned into a pile of spaghetti after roasting--it was the coolest squash ever!

I've only cooked two of them this season: One with Mandy, to which we added the spectacular combo of butter, sage, and salt. I roasted another on Saturday, and it ended up as a number of meals, my favorite of which was a sauté of homemade sausage (pork with herbes de Provence, Dijon mustard, and shallots), spaghetti squash, and a little butter. It was a fantabulous comfort meal that wasn't really all that unhealthy.

I need to play with one or two more before the winter's over. Perhaps one with tomato and garlic? Another with chorizo? So many possibilities!

No comments: