22.3.11

Go See: Tara Donovan @ Pace 22

I've been a fan of New York artist Tara Donovan's installation works since I happened upon one of her giant landscapes--a topographic mountain range made from stacks and stacks of plastic cups--a few years ago. This weekend I caught two shows of her works at The Pace Gallery, one of which, Untitled (Mylar) 2011, is up until April 9.

For those of you who don't know her work, you absolutely must go check it out--its giant silver Mylar bubbles (which kind of resembles, to me, a joyful herd of balloon pachyderms)--are incredibly happy-making, and the way the installation seems to morph itself from absolutely every angle gives it a wonderful sense of life. Photos of her work just never do them justice.

Sadly (for you), the other show, Drawings (Pins), closed Saturday. I wasn't anticipating as much from a more traditional format, but I was floored. These pieces were surprisingly three-dimensional, and just as alive as her installations are. Never underestimate an excellent talent.

Tara Donovan's Untitled (Mylar) 2011 is on view until April 9, 2011 at The Pace Gallery, 545 W. 22nd Street, between 10th and 11th.

No comments: