23.9.09

Another Easy Fig Compote

I've been trying to catch up with the produce taking up vast amounts of space in my fridge. Last night's loss of most of a once-beautiful bunch of kale lit a fire under my butt, so bit by bit, I've been working to extend the life of everything in my fridge.

Tonight's challenge was the pint of figs that's been staring at me from the top shelf of the fridge since Thursday. I decided to return to my easy, versatile solution: compote. Here's my latest take on the multi-faceted accompaniment, and I think this might be my favorite so far.

Fig-Ginger-Red Wine Compote

• 1 pint figs (these were assorted, but any kind will do)
• 1 tablespoon freshly grated ginger
• 1/4 cup red wine

Trim and quarter the figs. Put all ingredients in a small saucepan and simmer on fairly low heat, stirring regularly, until the figs break down a bit, about 10 minutes. Refrigerate.

Use as an accompaniment to cheese, pork, ice cream, etc.

No comments: