24.1.10

Simple Celery Potato Soup

I needed to use some potato peelings to season my new de Buyer crepe pan (I should research why, but it's Sunday afternoon and I'm feeling lazy). I pondered what to do with the actual potato and bit of droopy celery I noticed hanging out in the vegetable bin, and decided to improvise an easy soup. To my surprise, I ended up with something kind of spectacular (I'm sure it's the butter, but...).

Simple Celery Potato Soup
• 2 tablespoons butter
• 1 medium onion, chopped
• 1 clove garlic, minced
• about 2 cups chopped celery (I was using the inner portion of a bunch and threw in leaves and all)
• 1 teaspoon herbes de Provence
• salt to taste
• 1 large potato, peeled and cubed
• 4 cups stock (preferably something rich)

Melt the butter in a medium/large pan. Add onion and garlic, and sauté until it becomes translucent. Add the celery, herbes de Provence, and a little salt and cook until the celery begins to soften. Add remaining ingredients and simmer for about 20 minutes, stirring every so often to make sure things don't burn. Turn off heat and purée with an immersion or regular blender. Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary.

No comments: