26.6.09

Finally, The High Line

The sun actually made an appearance yesterday, so I packed up my camera and some reading, walked a few blocks south, and finally checked out NYC's latest addition: the new High Line park. I've loved the overgrown rusty beauty of the abandoned elevated railroad tracks on the western edge of Chelsea for years, and now the lower portion (from Gansevoort to 20th Street) has been transformed into a beautiful park. Reimagined by Diller Scofidio + Renfro (the same folks who did the new Alice Tully Hall), the park is a post-modern beauty and right up my alley. I'll be spending a lot of time there--especially when they open the sections still under construction to the north. I'm thankful to all of the people who fought for the High Line's preservation.










No comments: