30.5.08

Vendredi Slowly

It's been a short, fast week. I haven't cooked much at home, but we made three kinds of dumplings last night at Tony's (pork and leek, pork and ginger, and beef and garlic), and I just ate another salad with greens from my window garden (hurrah!). I'm off to the Jersey Shore for the weekend, where I will hopefully be experimenting with some in-season Jersey seafood (do I really want to do that?). In the meantime, I leave you with my blood orange and fennel salad recipe. Though it's more of a winter dish (when blood oranges are in season), we found the fixings this past weekend and whipped it up for a Memorial Day picnic.

Blood Orange & Fennel Salad

4 blood oranges, peeled and sliced into chunks
1 bulb of fresh fennel
1 small red onion, sliced thinly
1/4 cup black olives
1 to 2 tbsp. olive oil
salt to taste
dried chili flakes, to taste

Slice the bulb of the fennel in half lengthwise, remove the solid center portion (towards the root end of the plant), and slice thinly crosswise (you'll end up with julienne-like slices). Add the orange pieces, onion, and olives, then toss with the olive oil, salt, and chili.

No comments: