22.9.11

Slogging Through San Gennaro

I generally avoid Little Italy's annual Feast of San Gennaro--I'm not a fan of making my way through the crush of people that always descend upon the festival. But yesterday evening, after an unusually early dinner at the newish branch of Xi'an Famous Foods on Bayard Street, we noticed the crowds on Mulberry Street were at acceptable levels, so we cut through the Italian madness to grab a little dessert. I may be half Sicilian, but as that side of the family shed its Catholic roots a couple of generations ago, I'm a bit lost as far as the religious traditions behind the festival go. But food-wise, it's a chance to take a gander at the typical Italian-American food available at New York City street fairs. It's a true slice--if you can handle the insanity!





No comments: