19.5.11

The Edison Steps It Up With The Rum House

As we all know, I'm a fan of New York's old-school restaurants and bars, and am always sad to see them go (which seems to be more often than not these days--see this week's sad news about Elaine's). So when I heard the Edison Hotel's bar was being revamped a few months ago, I was initially very sad...until I heard it was merely getting a refresh by some stellar mixologists! The Rum House officially opened in January, and I finally went last night to have a cocktail before a performance of Arcadia (benefiting The Actors Fund--yay!).


For a bar just off Times Square, it's surprisingly not annoying. Perhaps it's the fact that The Rum House is in the not-so-trendy Edison Hotel (though The Edison's been given a good scrub and refresh since the last time I was in the lobby). Or maybe it's because it was a super-rainy evening. Regardless, the vibe was surprisingly chill and the drinks were great.

I went for The Barrymore (in honor of the theater we were heading to just across the street), which was a bit strong (single malt!), but perfectly old school. With live piano and a retro-vibe, it's definitely worth checking out if you need a place for a pre-theater beverage.

The Rum House is inside The Edison Hotel, 228 West 47th Street just west of Broadway.

No comments: