29.9.10

Taking On Tomatillos

I'm slowly but surely using up what's left from our garden bounty. My freezer's chock full of roasted tomatoes (hooray--I'll make it happily through the winter now!), but I still have a few things hanging out in the fridge that desperately need to be used. Luckily, tomatillos seem to have a longer life span than regular tomatoes, so I have a sort of extended grace period in which to use them.

The other night, along with a few of our little-but-tasty green peppers and some corn I'd cut off the cob and frozen, I decided I'd make a quick hot sausage experiment (I used some hot Italian sausage I already had, but I think this would be fabulous with Mexican-style chorizo, too). I wasn't sure if it would work, but I think it may have turned out to be my favorite tomatillo dish to date!

Tomatillos with Sausage and Corn
• 1 tablespoon olive oil
• 1 large clove of garlic, minced
• 1 medium onion, roughly chopped
• 3 cups chopped tomatillos
• 1 pound hot sausage, removed from casings
• 4 tiny or 1 regular green bell peppers, julienned
• 2 cups corn kernels
• salt and pepper to taste

In a medium saucepan, sauté the garlic in olive oil for a minute, then add the onion and cook until it begins to soften. Add the tomatillos, cover, and cook until soft, about 10 minutes.

Meanwhile, crumble the sausage into a sauté pan and cook until done. Stir the sausage into the tomatillo/onion mixture, and add a little salt and pepper. Turn off the heat, stir in the green pepper and corn, and serve!

No comments: