7.10.11

KKNY In London Part I: The Return

While everybody knows that I absolutely adore my fabulous metropolis of New York, most of you probably aren't aware that my first city was actually London, where I lived for a short while back in the early 1990s. I'd visited again briefly in the late 90s, but other than flying over the city in 2003, haven't been back. My time in London has always been very special to me, and the city holds a very special place in my heart.

Last week, I finally returned.

I have to admit, I was nervous. I knew that like any cosmopolitan city, my London that was no longer is. The cities we love grow and chance with the times--and as difficult as that may be, that's part of what makes them great.

After wandering a bit, I put my fears aside--London seems better than ever. While there's only so much one can experience in a week (the city's size seems to have doubled since I lived there), it seems that it's more cosmopolitan and eclectic than ever. Obviously it's not perfect (see the riots a few months ago), but to me, it's as livable for me as New York. If anyone offered me a gig over there, I doubt I'd hesitate to make the leap.

There's more to come on my adventure, so stay tuned...

No comments: