5.1.11

Nonsensical Mysteries

It's just about mid winter, so there time for my favorite fruit on the planet--blood oranges--to miraculously appear on store shelves (sorry locavores...I love them too much not to eat about a ton of them--preferably shipped from Sicily--each year). There are various varieties, which seem to show up in stores kind of randomly, so I thought I'd do a little pre-season research so I could make more informed buying decisions this year.

Interestingly, it seems like the variety I love leaps and bounds beyond the others--the Moro--was originally cultivated in the Sicilian state from which my mom's side of the family hails: Siracusa. It's much more intensely-flavored and colorful than the other varieties, and I just can't get enough of them.

I wonder, perhaps, if they're in my blood, so to speak (wink wink)? I think I'll have to track some down so I can do a little research.

(Or, if nothing else, I'll have to find more of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle type pictured above. If I remember correctly, they taste like pizza...)

No comments: