6.7.09

Peachy Keen

Fresh, local fruits and veggies are finally bountiful in the city again (despite the wet, dreary summer so far), and it makes me wonderfully happy. So, as I pondered what to bring to Tony's 4th of July Hell's Kitchen fireworks-watching fete, I came up with something fresh, easy, and summery.

Peach Salsa

•4 peaches
•1 medium-sized cucumber
•3 scallions
•1 large bunch basil (approx. 1 cup loosely-packed leaves)
•juice of 2 limes
•hot sauce to taste

Mince the peaches (I'm lazy, so I didn't bother to peel them) and peel, seed, and chop the cucumber. Slice the scallions into 1mm rings and mince the basil. Combine all in a bowl, add lime juice, and then hot sauce to taste. Serve with tortilla chips, or with a main dish like chicken or fish.

1 comment:

Cathy said...

YUM!!! I have all those ingredients at home, plus a huge bag of tortilla chips so I'm making a batch in 3 hours when I get home!!

I grew a new type of basil this year (along with the standard sweet basil) ... hot & spicy basil. I'll throw some of that in to heat things up.